Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Reyes to As: "My debut was exactly how I dreamt it would be."

José Antonio Reyes is glowing with confidence following Sunday's match against Real Sociedad. The next League match against Betis cannot come soon enough for the Seville native, who is looking forward to continuing his good patch. “It's will be a very special match. I am returning home,” said Reyes. However, he did state that he is “happy in Madrid” and that he and Robinho will “electrify” the Bernabéu crowd. In an interview published by Spanish sports daily As, Reyes has no limits, declaring, “The farther you get, the better it is for you and your team.”

I suppose your Santiago Bernabéu debut on Sunday was exactly how you dreamt it would be: a great game, an important goal, and the whole stadium chanting your name.
Absolutely. On Sunday I had the debut every footballer dreams of. Any player would have liked to have the première I had. It was important as it gave me a lot of confidence.

I was told you took your shirt home.
That's true. Of course I did (laughs). I kept the shirt I wore in my first match against Levante, so of course I kept the shirt I was wearing when I scored my first goal against Real.

You are going to end up setting up a store at the Bernabéu.
I am (laughs). I am going to have to with all the shirts I am taking.

What went through your mind when you scored the free kick and the entire Bernabéu started chanting your name?
It was amazing when the Bernabéu chanted my name, but it's so hard to explain. Honestly, words cannot explain it.

What did your parents say to you after the match? I am sure they bombarded you with kisses.
They did. They kissed me a lot. I think they might have been even happier than I was.

I saw how you spent several minutes signing autographs when all the fans stopped your car and surrounded it when you were leaving the Bernabéu. You have become a Madridismo icon in only three League matches.
People are treating me so well and I feel all the fans' affection. Several fans had waited for me to leave the stadium so they could ask for an autograph, and I had no problem doing it. I also asked my favourite footballers for autographs when I was young.

Of all the congratulations you received in the dressing room, which was the most special?
Well, I'd stick with all the congratulations from my teammates, because they are all so important to me. But, I think I'll alwayts remember Sergio Ramos' because he's the player I have the closest bond with.

What did Sergio Ramos tell you? I am sure it was something funny coming from him.
Nothing really. He was really happy that I scored a goal in my Madrid debut.

Who do you dedicate that goal to?
I dedicate it to my grandfather. May he rest in peace. Who knows, maybe it's because of him that something like this happened.

Was your grandfather the main reason you have gotten to where you are today?
Definitely. My family is very important to me, by my grandfather Miguel played a decisive role in my life. He helped me in many aspects of my career and was a very important person to me.

I think Beckham might get upset because I think Madrid's right wing has a new owner, and that would be José Antonio Reyes.
I'm not sure. You have to ask the coach that question. David is a skilled player, we all know him, and I'm not going to fight with anyone. The coach has the final say, so we have to battle it out during every training session.

You played along the right wing against Real Sociedad. Where would you really like to play?
I don't think you should get an answer if you ask a Real Madrid player about his natural position, because it really doesn't matter where you play. Playing is all that matters. I don't mind playing on the left or right, or as an attacking midfielder or forward.

Capello is going to have a tough time benching you during the next game after your performance against Real
Well, if everything goes well, God willing, it is easier if he continues counting on me for the future.

Real Madrid face Betis at the Ruiz de Lopera Stadium on Saturday. I'm sure you are dying to play in that match.
Of course. The game against Betis is so important to me. I'm returning to Sevilla, my home, to play against Betis. Everyone knows it's a very special game for me.

If I'm not mistaken, you are returning to a city where all the Sevilla fans still love you.
Sevilla supporters still love me, and I still love them.

Have you already overcome the torment of living in London? Are you truly happy playing for Madrid?
I am happy as a Real Madrid player and person. I am very happy here.

Capello praised you several times during the press conference following the Real game. It was strange hearing the Italian coach talking about a footballer like he did about you. He defined you as "A great player whose potential we were already aware of when we signed him."
I am proud that a coach like Capello speaks about me like that. I personally didn't hear him, but I am very grateful.

How many congratulations did you get after the Real game?
A lot. I didn't count, but I got so many, and I am equally grateful for each.

Did you know it was a goal as soon as you struck the football?
Some say they know it, but all you really know is that you struck it well. You also have to think that the keeper might stop it. In fact, Riesgo almost stopped my shot. Like I said, many things can stop a ball that you think is going into the back of the net, but what's important is that it was a goal and it gave us the lead.

I can see Madrid with Reyes on one wing and Robinho on the other. Toegther the two of you would create quite a stir. And, that's what the Bernabéu wants.
With his talent, Robinho can contribute a lot along the wing. I am sure that Robinho and I will play a lot together and we hope to electrify the crowd.

You were the best part of the Real match, and Emerson, who received more whistles than I have ever heard in the third matchday, took the brunt of it.
The Bernabéu did whistle at Emerson when he was substituted, but he is a veteran, so I am sure it didn't bother him too much.

What can be the crowing glory for you with this Real Madrid? Many football experts think you still have a lot of untapped potential.
I don't know. I hope to get as far as I can with Real Madrid. I don't think there are any limits. The farther you get, the better it is for you and your team.

The team is more or less formed, but I am sure you are all ready for Ronaldo to return.
Ronaldo is obviously an important piece of this Club. We all want him to recover soon. His goals are very important for us and the Club.

No comments: