Saturday, September 09, 2006

Reyes Keen To Make Madrid Move Permanent.

José Antonio Reyes is confident that he earn himself a permanent move to Real Madrid during his season-long loan spell.

The 23-year-old was delighted to have returned to Spain after a difficult 18-month spell in England with Arsenal and spelt out his ambition during his presentation on Friday.

During his stay at the London club, Reyes constantly hinted that he wanted to move back to Spain and his intentions became clear during the summer when Madrid made their interest known.

On the final day of the transfer window, the former Sevilla winger secured a one-year loan deal to Madrid in a move that saw Julio Baptista move in the opposite direction.

Now Reyes wants to prove that he has what it takes to make his switch to El Bernabéu permanent.

"I have got a year to prove to the club, the president and the boss that I am worth a place here," he said.

"Maybe it will depend on how the club does this season, but I will be doing my best. Obviously I do not know if I will have return to Arsenal next year, but if I think about that I will be starting off on the wrong foot."

The new arrival understands that the competition for places at Madrid is fierce, but he is relishing the challenge of winning a place in Fabio Capello's team.

"If I have to compete for a place with Raul I will," he said. "I do not mind where I play. I have also played on the right side at Arsenal too. All I want to do is to convince the coach that I am worth a place in the side."

Reyes also outlined the reasons that he never settled in England and was keen to return to Spain as quickly as possible.

"The climate and the language were very difficult for me, and my family wasn't happy there either and they are the most important thing for me," he said.

"Not starting the Champions League final was a major blow to me especially as I had played in all the games along the way. I do not know if it was the final straw, but it was important."

No comments: