Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Beckham wants Madrid stay.


Real Madrid ace David Beckham insists he is ready to sit down with the club and discuss extending his stay in the Spanish capital.

The former Manchester United midfielder's deal at El Santiago Bernabeu is set to expire at the end of the season and Real are keen to tie him down for a further two years.

Real president Ramon Calderon insists he and coach Fabio Capello are determined to keep Beckham at the club even though he has struggled to hold down a regular place in the side this season.

The former England captain has been linked with a move to America, but Beckham is adamant he is happy to stay with Real although he concedes it takes time to sort everything out.

"To be honest, there's been so much going on at the club," Beckham told Revista De La Liga on Sky Sports.

"Everyone knows about the changes that have happened over the last couple of months, and changes that have been going on for a while since I've been here.

"There's been a new president that has come in, new board, new directors, new manager, new coaching staff, so there's a lot that has happened in that time.

"I'm very happy that the president, that the manager, that other people and the directors want me to stay because I love playing for Real Madrid, who wouldn't?

"You're playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I love the fans because they have been incredible to me since I actually stepped in the country and I love that.

"That's one of the things I love is playing in front of fans that appreciate your hard work and appreciate other things that you do.

"I'm happy in Madrid. My kids are happy, my wife is happy, so everything's good.

"But if anyone knows about contracts, it takes a while to sort out. My friend and manager has sat down with the board and has sat down with the president.

"They've both expressed their desires in me staying and me wanting to stay, but these things take time and we can't rush it."

Beckham admitted he was disappointed not to be a regular in the Real starting line-up, but the midfielder is ready to fight for his place in the team.

"You just get on with it - there's no other way," added Beckham.

"You either just get on with it or you sulk and you don't work as hard in training, and that doesn't get you anywhere.

"My mentality is to work hard and to fight for my place. If I have to miss four or five games, which I have and I've only come on in the second half, at the moment you have to accept that.

"I can't say I'm happy because I love playing football, that's my job and that's what I love doing.

"But, at the end of the day, sometimes you have to fight for things you want in life.

"I've had to do that a few times recently and I'm a fighter, so I'll carry on fighting for things."

Beckham also moved to reject talk that he has a problem with Capello saying he has the full backing of the Italian tactician.

"There's been times when he's left me on my own to think about things, but also there is the confidence he gives as a player and a person, and he's given me that in training.

"He's told the directors that he wants me to stay, and that's what you need as a player sometimes - you need that little bit of a push.

"It's nice to have that, even though I haven't played in games. I feel that I've actually got the confidence of the manager."

No comments: